Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese

Serves 6 as a side dish, 2 as a main course

Note: Although the preparation of this dish takes only 30 minutes (much less than that if you use pre-shredded cheese), this recipe does require 2 hours in the slow cooker.

1/2 pound elbow macaroni
3 cups shredded medium Cheddar cheese (sharp cheese will add more flavor)
1 12-fluid-oz can evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups skim milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)
(some people like to add grated onion, 1/2 tsp dry mustard, or a little spicy paprika. Another variation is to add two beaten eggs to the milks in step 1, and add broccoli florets when the cheese is added, for a kind of quiche.)

1. Coat the inside of the slow cooker with cooking spray.

2. In a large bowl, stir together fresh and evaporated milks. Mix in uncooked macaroni and 3 cups shredded cheese. Add garlic powder, pepper, and salt. Stir until well mixed, and transfer to slow cooker.

3. Cook on low for approximately 2 hours. Stir halfway through to prevent browning on the bottom and sides.

Recipe from allrecipes.com

2 comments:

  1. I just finished making this. It was so good, and much easier than I expected. I did make a few modifications that I wanted to list, though.
    1. To conform with my own time constraints, I partially cooked this dish on the crockpot's "high" setting. I ended up with a slightly grainy cheese sauce because of the high heat. Just leave it on low, so you can avoid this. The sauce is very creamy otherwise, and I like that it is made with ingredients I can pronounce.
    2.The cooking time is an approximation. When the sauce starts to thicken, and looks like mac and cheese, give it a taste. It is probably done.
    3. Stir every 20 minutes during that last hour of cooking. It will ensure that the sauce does not form a skin, and the top noodles don't get chewy. I know this sounds like a lot to remember, but you will be surprised how easy this is to make.
    4. Just for fun, I added a dusting of Italian Breadcrumbs to each serving. It looks nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally going to make this. I am salivating just thinking about it.

    What does it say about me that my favorite things to eat are salami and mac n cheese?

    ReplyDelete